Accredited Breeder Support Program 2023
Tibetan Terrier Club of America Guidelines for Responsible Breeders
These guidelines are established in accordance with the objectives of the Tibetan Terrier Club of America, Inc. and are set forth to protect and advance the interest of our breed by maintaining high breeding standards. The TTCA endorses and encourages all breeders to follow them.
A Responsible Breeder:
- Abides by the constitution and by-laws of the TTCA and the rules of the American Kennel Club.
- Maintains the best possible standards of canine health, cleanliness and veterinary care, and provides facilities for excellent pre-natal and post-natal care of the dam and puppies.
- Maintains accurate breeding records, registration papers and pedigrees, furnishing each purchaser with proper registration or transfer papers, unless written agreement is made at the time of sale that papers be withheld.
- Makes sure all services and sales arrangements are mutually agreed upon, stated in writing, and signed by all parties involved.
- Keeps all advertising honest and in no way intentionally misleading, fraudulent or misrepresentative.
- Learns and understands the AKC Standard of the breed, and breeds with the intention of conforming to it.
- Breeds only with the intention of improving the breed, and finding suitable, carefully screened, safe and loving homes for the puppies.
- Chooses only healthy, registered parents of excellent temperament and qualities, x-rayed and eye examined, resulting in eligibility for OFA and CERF certification, doing everything possible to prevent passing on devastating genetic defects.
- Breeds only mature bitches, preferably over two years of age, skipping a season between most litters.
- Refuses to breed a stud dog or brood bitch to any animal which is not registered or is markedly inferior physically or temperamentally.
- Does not sell or consign Tibetan Terriers to pet shops or other commercial dealers, nor does he breed his animals to their animals.
- Is as selective in breeding his stud dog as he is in breeding his brood bitch.
- Does not donate Tibetan Terriers for raffles or auctions.